Back to [Archive] Meta

Indexing
Admin
We have hired a programmer to fix the Google Scholar indexing. It is a work in progress, but it is almost fixed for the ODP journal as of now. This should make indexing much faster as Google Scholar does not have to rely on the formatting fitting their requirements. If we can confirm that it works well, then we can revert to not having so stringent formatting requirements to authors.
Admin
The metatags for Google Scholar has been made. Now we will have to wait a few days to see if it works as it should.
Admin
Well, meta-tags did not fix things.

After looking at the data, I noticed that only a single paper was indexed and that it was the same paper that had the PDF file uploaded directly to the Wordpress installation, not just linking to the copy on the forum. After that, I uploaded the PDF for another paper, and it too is now indexed by Scholar. It seems the theory is right.

I have thus updated all the remaining papers for both journals. Hopefully, they will soon be indexed.
Admin
My articles are now indexed as well. Yours should be too.

http://scholar.google.dk/citations?user=VKUbfSIAAAAJ&hl=en
Admin
If one searches on Google Scholar (GS) for the journal names, one will see that not all articles are indexed yet.

http://scholar.google.dk/scholar?hl=en&q=%22open+differential+psychology%22&btnG=&as_sdt=1%2C5&as_sdtp=

There are 10 results, of which 1 doesn't belong there. We pushed it as a test case before settling on our journal structure, but GS won't forget it even though we removed it half a year ago or so.

Anyway, there are currently 13 published papers in ODP, 9 of which are on GS. That's about 70%.

The papers not listed are:

http://openpsych.net/ODP/2014/08/the-canadian-iq-calculated-from-the-standardization-of-the-wais-iv/

http://openpsych.net/ODP/2014/07/ethnicrace-differences-in-aptitude-by-generation-in-the-united-states-an-exploratory-meta-analysis/

http://openpsych.net/ODP/2014/07/parents-income-is-a-poor-predictor-of-sat-score/

http://openpsych.net/ODP/2014/04/intelligence-in-jordan-norms-for-the-standard-progressive-matrices/

I will ask Google to index these webpages today, see if that works.
Google Scholar already lists John and my unpublished race x heritability paper, while my published X-factor paper is not listed.
Admin
Google Scholar works in mysterious ways. I will see if I can prevent it from indexing the submission forums while letting the rest thru.
Google scholar has indexed two articles:

Genetic and Environmental Determinants of IQ in Black, White, and Hispanic Americans: A Meta-analysis
Genetic and Environmental Determinants of IQ in Black, White, and Hispanic Americans: A Meta-analysis and New Analysis

The first one, of course, is a draft. But no one can know that, if the authors don't write it. So, that's annoying. I think the editors of the journals should require the authors to write it when it's a draft version. Especially, if the paper get a new title, and google scholar indexed the old one, I'm not even sure it can be removed from the search engine now.

The following articles are still invisible in google scholar :

Ethnic/Race Differences in Aptitude by Generation in the United States: An Exploratory Meta-analysis
Intelligence in Jordan: Norms for the Standard Progressive Matrices
Parents’ Income is a Poor Predictor of SAT Score
Admin
Authors can merge articles on Google Scholar. They can also delete them entirely which prevent this from being an issue at all.
Parents’ Income is a Poor Predictor of SAT Score

I have an idea.

When I typed :

Genetic and Environmental Determinants of IQ in Black, White, and Hispanic Americans: A Meta-analysis and New Analysis

Google Scholar referenced "Fuerst J." as the author. But Dalliard does not appear. Also, Dalliard's paper on Kaplan is not visible either. And the paper of nooffensebut is still not visible either. These have one thing in common. The name has only one word, so it is not indexed. Is it really due to this ?

Then, it remains one anomaly.

I was able to find that link and this one. So maybe that's the explanation ?
Admin
Those Lynn papers are separate, I think.

Maybe GS refuses to index papers with only 1 name. Neuroskeptic, a prominent blogger, published a paper in his name. Searching GS for this reveals that it is indexed under N Skeptic.

Skeptic, N. (2012). The Nine Circles of Scientific Hell. Perspectives on Psychological Science, 7(6), 643.

You may be right. So this means that all author names need to be at least two words. If they want to be indexed of course. If they don't that's their business.
Admin
I looked more into the criticism of Citation Index. It turns out it is not very useful. Very briefly, it is an index calculated by a for-profit entity by a secret method with data they won't share (and in the one case they did, the data didn't fit the published numbers). It is easily gameable too. Academia is very stupid for relying on such a metric. It's basically the same as with legacy journals. A commercial entity is abusing its privileged position due to science relying on its index for reputation indexing. You can read the same sources I did by following the source from the Altmetrics manifesto: http://altmetrics.org/manifesto/

So what to do? One can rely on various other indexes. I can think of a number:

Our own citation index, which one can calculate for any time frame. The commercial one is done for only the last 2 years, which introduces bias due to different fields not having the same speed of publishing.

To check for in-house self-referencing, one can calculate the above by only counting papers not published in any OP journal. As far as I know, this leads to a citation index of near zero since most people are not familiar with OP journals and they are quite new too.

One can calculate the reverse of the above to check whether authors excessively cite papers in the OP journals, i.e. calculate the % of citations are citations to papers in OP journals. This number won't be too high I think.

I can release statistical data for number of downloads of papers etc. Attached. Note that a lot of this traffic is due to people downloading the papers people have attached on the forum, and much of it is due to spambots.
Someone here should contact nooffensebut and Dalliard about what happened with GS. Is it possible to reupload another version of their respective articles under other names ?

For example, "No Offensebut" or "No Offense But" for the first and "Mr Dalliard" or "Mister Dalliard" for the second. GS may accept that. This journal is flexible, unlike the others, so that's why I ask what you think.
Admin
Someone here should contact nooffensebut and Dalliard about what happened with GS. Is it possible to reupload another version of their respective articles under other names ?

For example, "No Offensebut" or "No Offense But" for the first and "Mr Dalliard" or "Mister Dalliard" for the second. GS may accept that. This journal is flexible, unlike the others, so that's why I ask what you think.

Of course. The problem with assuming "Mr" is that people posting under pseudonyms do not reveal their sex, so if they turn out to be female, then "Mr" is indicating the wrong sex.
Yeah, I agree that the problem is probably that GS does not recognize mononyms like Dalliard. I added an initial (M.) to my name in the X-factor article and posted the new version to the review thread. Can you replace the published version with that one, Emil? GS lists the h2-race article under John's name, it's ok that way.
Meng Hu just informed me about this. I would like to add a space to my pseudonym, if I can and if that will increase the likely hood that Google Scholar will index my paper. I attached the paper here with my name as "Nooffense But." Will that do?

Thanks.
Admin
Yes, I will replace it when I get home (I am currently in Sweden). Then I will have Google re-crawl it and hopefully that will work. Maybe not. Dalliard's paper is not indexed even though we did the name thing and I had Google re-crawl the website. So maybe the name theory is just wrong. Any other ideas?

Whenever I publish a paper, I put it on my website, and I add a publication on ResearchGate too. Maybe that helps. But still, it usually takes GS a few days to note my new papers.
Yes, I will replace it when I get home (I am currently in Sweden). Then I will have Google re-crawl it and hopefully that will work. Maybe not. Dalliard's paper is not indexed even though we did the name thing and I had Google re-crawl the website. So maybe the name theory is just wrong. Any other ideas?

Here's what I get in GS.

APA

Fuerst, J. Genetic and Environmental Determinants of IQ in Black, White, and Hispanic Americans: A Meta-analysis and New Analysis.

ISO 690

FUERST, John. Genetic and Environmental Determinants of IQ in Black, White, and Hispanic Americans: A Meta-analysis and New Analysis.

MLA

Fuerst, John. "Genetic and Environmental Determinants of IQ in Black, White, and Hispanic Americans: A Meta-analysis and New Analysis."

For APA, M Dalliard may appear ok, but ISO 690 and MLA may have troubles recognizing the name. I admit it sounds weird. But I think it was a good idea to contact nooffensebut. If the new name appears as "Nooffense But" but that the paper is still not indexed, I would be wrong.

Originally, my idea comes from the fact that Dalliard did not appear in the Fuerst paper above, even though Dalliard's name was here. That's why I'm confident about my hypothesis. But I will continue to check GS every day. Only time can prove me wrong (or right).
Admin
Well, turning tags on was a very bad idea! Now Scholar indexed every tag my papers have been tagged with as a new paper! It is due to an unforeseen effect of the code we wrote. We will try to fix it ASAP.

http://scholar.google.dk/citations?user=VKUbfSIAAAAJ&hl=en