Back to [Archive] Post-review discussions

[ODP] A Study of the IQ in Sudan
Emil,

That's the problem. Sudan is partly in North Africa, partly in the Horn of Africa, and partly in sub-Saharan Africa. This is why Khartoum state (where the capital is located) has such a mixed population.

I'm not saying we should reject this paper. I'm saying the authors should include the following caveat:

"This may be a problem because of the social and ethnic heterogeneity of Khartoum state, particularly the large number of in-migrants, including refugees, from all parts of the country."

Is that too much to ask?
Admin
No, that is fine with me. :)
Let's suppose that someone tested the IQ of a hundred people in London, Paris, or Los Angeles. Would you publish that study even if it had no information at all about the participants' ethnicity?

I don't know. Perhaps I hesitate. It's always better to add more informations. And I have no objection with your demand. Still, the authors only said that Sudan has an IQ of 78. They never dismissed the fact that Kartoum state is racially very heterogeneous, or made any statement on this issue. The only potential problem would be that the racial composition in this sample could be very different from the entire population. However, I doubt that a sample of 1638 (which is clearly comparable to many other standardization samples reported in other countries, mostly in the U.S., for what I remember) could be seriously biased in its racial composition, although I don't (and can't) provide a proof of it.
Admin
It surely could. If you look at the racial dot map of the US, you will see that it is very racially divided. Clearly, if one was not careful one could go into a big Euro, Asian, Hispanic or African-American district and gather a large sample without it being representative of the US population at all.

http://demographics.coopercenter.org/DotMap/
I'm not saying we should reject this paper. I'm saying the authors should include the following caveat:

"This may be a problem because of the social and ethnic heterogeneity of Khartoum state, particularly the large number of in-migrants, including refugees, from all parts of the country."

Is that too much to ask?

I concur with Peter Frost.

After the authors adds, "This may be a problem because of the social and ethnic heterogeneity of Khartoum state, particularly the large number of immigrants, including refugees, from all parts of the country" after "There was no information on the participants of this study in terms of social class or ethnic background", I approve publication.

Perhaps Emil could contact Dr. Lynn and inquire if he approves the addition of the phrase, thus allowing us to move on with publication.
I also approve publication on the condition that the caveat mentioned by Peter and Chuck is added to the paper.
Admin
I have emailed the authors to get them to make the change.
It's the exact same text as the previous one.
Admin
Maybe I posted the wrong version. In any case, I have decided that this method of exchanging documents is needlessly slowing down reviewing. Hence, I moved moved to the file Google Docs, so that Bakhiet and Lynn can edit it directly there.

The file is here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1o5--m0IaR33cXFPJz7ysyitorW3uyYbARzXwGMd9Fcw/edit

Are the reviewers okay with this version? It has the caveat Peter required. I will also ask the authors if it is okay with them.
Admin
I approve of the current draft which has the caveat required by Peter and Dalliard. Meng Hu approved before, so this gives 4 perhaps.
I'm puzzled by the replacement of "in-migrants" with "immigrants" in the caveat. An immigrant comes from another country, but this is not the case in Sudan. The inhabitants of Khartoum state come from different regions of the same country. If the word "in-migrant" sounds too pedantic, why not use "migrant"?

Otherwise I approve.
Are the reviewers okay with this version? It has the caveat Peter required. I will also ask the authors if it is okay with them.

I approve if this is the last submitted version. But who made this change ? I need to know if this is what the authors really wrote.
Admin
They sent me a version before, but I must have uploaded the wrong version here. The draft here is that version plus formatting fixes that I added, as well as trivial stuff like which when it was submitted and where the review thread is.
They sent me a version before, but I must have uploaded the wrong version here. The draft here is that version plus formatting fixes that I added, as well as trivial stuff like which when it was submitted and where the review thread is.

I think we have 4 or more approvals -- so we should be OK to publish. Maybe make the "immigrant" to "migrant" correction mentioned by PF.
Admin
Alright. I will ask the authors if they are okay with the current version.
Alright. I will ask the authors if they are okay with the current version.

Emil, what's the status on this paper? Did you get a response?
Admin
No response. Maybe they are busy.
I contacted Lynn and Bakhiet. And Bakhiet answered :

Hi
this my reply
The study took a sample of residential areas inhabited by members of the permanent row and not among respondents refugees or immigrants, as these always be outside the city of Khartoum at the edges.
Social and economic strata of the study sample includes 3 layers, low Middle and high, and where the ethnic side they represent the people of northern Sudan.
Can we incorporate this reply into the paper? Something like:

The participants were permanent residents of Khartoum and indigenous to northern Sudan. None of them were refugees or migrants from other parts of the country. They came from lower, middle, and upper socioeconomic strata.