Back to [Archive] Other discussions

Jewish cognitive ability
Hello. I am looking for a collaborator who would look at a manuscript. The manuscript was rejected, but looking at the reviews I think that one of the reviewers didn't understand some of the information presented. It is hard to know if I wasn't clear enough or if the reviewer is the issue. The abstract is below:

The most influential study on the differences in intellectual ability between Jews and gentiles may be Backman’s (1972) analysis of group differences in intellectual ability using the Project Talent data. However, inspection of the study, and the Project Talent data file on which the study is based, suggested that further analyses could be conducted that may be useful in shedding light on Jewish intellectual achievement. The most significant change from the original analysis was the use of parental fluency in Hebrew or Yiddish as a variable allowing for within group analyses. Analyses using this variable showed that as fluency increased so did general intelligence and scores on individual tests, with the exception of tests of spatial visualization and mechanical reasoning. For other European languages parental fluency was inversely associated with general intelligence. Results also showed that rates of myopia were positively associated with parental fluency in Hebrew or Yiddish, yet negatively associated with parental fluency in other European languages. General intelligence and individual test scores, with the exceptions of tests of spatial visualization and mechanical reasoning, were higher in individuals with myopia; for both Jews and gentiles. The results suggest that parental fluency in Hebrew or Yiddish is a valid measure Jewish within group differences and further research using the measure and the Project Talent data file is proscribed.
Admin
That sounds interesting. The intelligence of the Ashkenazim is a fascinating topic. (my 23andme test revealed about 2-3% Ashkenazim in my SNP genome).

It would help if you would post the manuscript.