Back to [Archive] Other discussions

What is the most recent Black(SSA) IQ estimate?
Yep, you are not reading it right. Just look at total PS or even better, factor (last column). The single PS from Davies and Rietveld have too few SNPs. The total PS has all the SNPs. Even better, look at the factor scores:

I stated I was talking about the Davies 2016 only alleles. Also some of the Sub Saharan Africans still have higher ps scores even after combination in the total and most of them close the gap substantially from Rietveld 2013.

I'm not blind.

As I said, there is no point in looking only at the Davies et al hits, when we have a bigger sample by combining them with the previous GWAS (whose hits have actually been replicated several times). Also, if you look at ALFRED combined data, you should look at the factor scores or the continental PS. ALFRED samples are much smaller than 1000 Genomes, so factor analysis filters out the noise and the same does averaging ethnic groups by sub-continent or race or whatever you want to call it. If you look at the combined 1000 Genomes PS or factor, you'll see that all the African groups score lower than Europeans and same if you look at the ALFRED factor.
Clearly this is not the definitive picture but it's getting increasingly more accurate and the differences between groups are still there and in the same direction, even though the magnitude is disputable.
Even in the 1000 genome combined scores blacks are pretty close(and get even closer after correction). Also South Asians and South Americans are even closer to whites, plenty slightly above populations of whites.

I just asked about weather I was reading it right in case the number was not what I thought it was.

So thanks for clarifying.
Even in the 1000 genome combined scores blacks are pretty close(and get even closer after correction). Also South Asians and South Americans are even closer to whites, plenty slightly above populations of whites.

I just asked about weather I was reading it right in case the number was not what I thought it was.

So thanks for clarifying.

South Asians and South Americans in 1000 Genomes are mixed and living in Western countries, with exception of Bengali. I refer to you to ALFRED scores (ALFRED has got unmixed populations) and racial PS and you'll see that they're a lot lower.
African PS and particularly factors are still relatively low but not as low as their phenotypic IQ. Europeans are about 2/3 of the way between East Asians and Africans, which would put the IQ of Africans at 90 if we assume Eu at 100 and Ea at 105.
Another problem is that these are not IQ genes, they're educational attainment genes. Sure, the two things are related but not the same thing.
In the Alfred sample they look close too. In fact South Asians are practically identical to Euros. More unexpected groups do a lot better in the Alfred sample compared to 1000 genomes. The latest set of alleles gave the south of the border a good boost by the looks of it.

Anyway, as luck would have it, I live in South Africa and 90 seems pretty plausible for Sub Saharan Africans here. Way too many smart ones for anything near 70. The reason I have very heavy doubts about a large average difference between races in IQ is because I spent about 21 years here.
In the Alfred sample they look close too. In fact South Asians are practically identical to Euros. More unexpected groups do a lot better in the Alfred sample compared to 1000 genomes. The latest set of alleles gave the south of the border a good boost by the looks of it.

Anyway, as luck would have it, I live in South Africa and 90 seems pretty plausible for Sub Saharan Africans here. Way too many smart ones for anything near 70. The reason I have very heavy doubts about a large average difference between races in IQ is because I spent about 21 years here.

Indeed!As a side note, for more accurate estimates in ALFRED I highly recommend looking at the factor scores instead of polygenic scores. This for 2 reasons: ALFRED has fewer SNPs; 2) ALFRED samples are smaller. Factor analysis filters out noise, polygenic scores don't.
Even with factor scores the African genotypic IQ would still be at 90, Middle Eastern and Native American at around 95, etc. (table 6).
Hey, are there any newer bits of data for US black white sat scores by income?

All I have is Steve Sailer's scores from 2008. http://isteve.blogspot.co.za/2014/03/2008-sat-scores-by-race-by-income.html