Back to [Archive] Other discussions

Review of associations between genomic ancestry and education/SES in the Americas
I was able to locate 30 some studies (published since 2004) which reported associations between continental ancestry and educational/SES outcomes in the Americans. The following countries and groups were represented: Brazil, Chile, Columbia, Costa Rica, Mexico, Peru, Puerto Rico, Trinidad and Tobago (Black population), and U.S. (African, Hispanic, Native, Asian, Pacific Islander, and Caucasian Americans).

Attached.
Admin
This is great, Chuck. We should write this up. No one has apparently written a review of this important prediction of the genetic model before. Strange?
This is great, Chuck. We should write this up. No one has apparently written a review of this important prediction of the genetic model before. Strange?

Let's write it up for Human Varieties sometime as a short post and then we can later work the material into a proper paper.
Admin
Career-wise risky, since someone else may beat us to it. On the other hand, there are lots of great material on HV which no one in the mainstream academic community has copied and taken credit for AFAICT. I also have some more personal projects. I am rewriting the megadataset code to R, so it is more easily available and easier to use. I have also ported and improved the code for the study looking at the mean and SD of g in Denmark over time. However, I have not fixed the plotter function yet.

Unfortunately, my university duties call for my attention. I am supposed to write a bachelor thesis in linguistics this semester, so I have to devote some time to that as well. I'm also taking another course on some humanities nonsense that require reading of lots of boring shit. I read 250 pages of how to design qualitative interviews today. Zzz!

As for what you listed. As far as I can tell, all the significant results are in the predicted direction. There are 6 N.S. results which may due to sample being too small.
As for what you listed. As far as I can tell, all the significant results are in the predicted direction. There are 6 N.S. results which may due to sample being too small.

For two of them, it was simply a matter of sample size/range restriction in ancestry. In Gower, et al. (2003), African Ancestry was negatively but not significantly correlated with education in Caucasian Kids.

"[A]mong those who identified themselves as being African American, African ADM ranged from 50 to 100%. SES of the subjects ranged from 8 to 66. African Admixture was significantly correlate with SES among African-American children (r = -0.134; P< 0.05) but not among Caucasian ( r = - 0.08; P = 0.22)."

In Allison, et al. (2010), the negative r (Ameridian x education) P-value was 0.11.

The four other associations, while generally negative, weren't close to being significant, though. These were mostly for Hispanics -- and here immigrant status was presumably a confound.
Admin
In any case, a genetic model does not imply that every study must give perfect results. Every researcher knows that data are often imperfect, too small, restricted (range, e.g. in whites where African ancestry is rare) etc.
Admin
I am reading a book about sociological matters related to orthographies, and it occurred to me that South Africa may also have some useful admixture studies. Perhaps published in local journals. Maybe in Afrikaans.

Looking at scholar:
Rushton's study, simple design. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0191886907003716

From 2010 to now:
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0002929710000960
Strong Maternal Khoisan Contribution to the South African Coloured Population: A Case of Gender-Biased Admixture

The study of recently admixed populations provides unique tools for understanding recent population dynamics, socio-cultural factors associated with the founding of emerging populations, and the genetic basis of disease by means of admixture mapping. Historical records and recent autosomal data indicate that the South African Coloured population forms a unique highly admixed population, resulting from the encounter of different peoples from Africa, Europe, and Asia. However, little is known about the mode by which this admixed population was recently founded. Here we show, through detailed phylogeographic analyses of mitochondrial DNA and Y-chromosome variation in a large sample of South African Coloured individuals, that this population derives from at least five different parental populations (Khoisan, Bantus, Europeans, Indians, and Southeast Asians), who have differently contributed to the foundation of the South African Coloured. In addition, our analyses reveal extraordinarily unbalanced gender-specific contributions of the various population genetic components, the most striking being the massive maternal contribution of Khoisan peoples (more than 60%) and the almost negligible maternal contribution of Europeans with respect to their paternal counterparts. The overall picture of gender-biased admixture depicted in this study indicates that the modern South African Coloured population results mainly from the early encounter of European and African males with autochthonous Khoisan females of the Cape of Good Hope around 350 years ago.

The role of ancestry in TB susceptibility of an admixed South African population ☆
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1472979214204185
Genetic susceptibility to tuberculosis (TB) has been well established and this, taken together with variation in susceptibility observed between different geographic and ethnic populations, implies that susceptibility to TB may in part be affected by ethnicity. In a previous genome-wide TB case–control study (642 cases and 91 controls) of the admixed South African Coloured (SAC) population, we found a positive correlation between African San ancestry and TB susceptibility, and negative correlations with European and Asian ancestries. Since genome-wide data was available for only a small number of controls in the previous study, we endeavored to validate this finding by genotyping a panel of ancestry informative markers (AIMs) in additional individuals, yielding a data set of 918 cases and 507 controls. Ancestry proportions were estimated using the AIMs for each of the source populations of the SAC (African San, African non-San, European, South Asian and East Asian). Using logistic regression models to test for association between TB and ancestry, we confirmed the substantial effect of ancestry on TB susceptibility. We also investigated the effect of adjusting for ancestry in candidate gene TB association studies of the SAC. We report a polymorphism that is no longer significantly associated with TB after adjustment for ancestry, a polymorphism that is significantly associated with TB only after adjustment for ancestry, and a polymorphism where the association significance remains unchanged. By comparing the allele frequencies of these polymorphisms in the source populations of the SAC, we demonstrate that association results are likely to be affected by adjustment for ancestry if allele frequencies differ markedly in the source populations of the SAC.

A Panel of Ancestry Informative Markers for the Complex Five-Way Admixed South African Coloured Population
http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0082224#pone-0082224-g003
Admixture is a well known confounder in genetic association studies. If genome-wide data is not available, as would be the case for candidate gene studies, ancestry informative markers (AIMs) are required in order to adjust for admixture. The predominant population group in the Western Cape, South Africa, is the admixed group known as the South African Coloured (SAC). A small set of AIMs that is optimized to distinguish between the five source populations of this population (African San, African non-San, European, South Asian, and East Asian) will enable researchers to cost-effectively reduce false-positive findings resulting from ignoring admixture in genetic association studies of the population. Using genome-wide data to find SNPs with large allele frequency differences between the source populations of the SAC, as quantified by Rosenberg et. al's -statistic, we developed a panel of AIMs by experimenting with various selection strategies. Subsets of different sizes were evaluated by measuring the correlation between ancestry proportions estimated by each AIM subset with ancestry proportions estimated using genome-wide data. We show that a panel of 96 AIMs can be used to assess ancestry proportions and to adjust for the confounding effect of the complex five-way admixture that occurred in the South African Coloured population.

etc. Perhaps some of these are useful.
I am reading a book about sociological matters related to orthographies, and it occurred to me that South Africa may also have some useful admixture studies. Perhaps published in local journals. Maybe in Afrikaans.

I purposely restricted consideration to groups in the Americas. I could have included studies on Caribbeans and Latin Americans in e.g., the Netherlands but I didn't. For an idea of the research there, see for example: Stronks, K., Snijder, M. B., Peters, R. J., Prins, M., Schene, A. H., & Zwinderman, A. H. (2013). Unravelling the impact of ethnicity on health in Europe: the HELIUS study. BMC public health, 13(1), 402. Maybe if people on this board come across other studies, they could post them.
Admin
How large are the correlations?

How large does a genetic model predict? Not very, I take it. Perhaps we need to simulate it and see how large the correlation is in the simulation.
How large are the correlations?How large does a genetic model predict? Not very, I take it. Perhaps we need to simulate it and see how large the correlation is in the simulation.

You're the second person that wanted to know this. I suppose that one could estimate the uniit change in ancestry versus unit change in SES. I did something like that here. But honestly, I don't find this type of analysis very informative. So I am unmotivated. Also, I would need some participation from others, to verify that I was doing things right.

I wrote this up at HV. If we wrote it up as a short communications here we could add such computations.
Maybe
http://www.jacionline.org/article/S0091-6749%2814%2901107-5/abstract

Like 90% of the other papers, the authors just state the SES was regressed out. They don't explicitly say how it was associated with ancestry or provide an effect size. There seems to be a increasing tendency to not provide this information.
Admin
Maybe email the authors of all papers who do not provide the data.
Maybe email the authors of all papers who do not provide the data.

I don't imagine that this would tell us anything more than we already know. Throughout Latin America there are substantial cognitive related "ethnic" gaps. Attached, for examples, are multilevel model results based on SERCE (a regional version of PISA). The coefficients seem to be unstandardized betas with the effects of numerous factors regressed out. Significant indigenous-non indigenous gaps are found across LA countries. In admixture studies from Latin America, authors don't typically control for ethnic identity, since lines are much more blurred than in the U.S. thus, it's likely that they would find an association between ancestry and outcomes, given the e.g., more indigenous/less indigenous outcome differences, and that results are not decomposed by ethnic group. Data from the U.S. is more informative since it's broken down by ethnicity/race. Results are given for e.g., Blacks -- not just e.g., NYC. But here we have numerous reported results. In the case of Hispanics, these are conflicting but they would not get less so by increasing the n, because the conflict is likely driven by e..g, migrant status and papers don't disentangle results by this.

In short, I think that these results, taken together, provide limited support for a genetic hypothesis. While it would be nice to have the totality of all data on hand, I do not think that trying to get this would be a good time investment. There are other projects that need to be done -- for example, I'm trying to finish this Latin America National IQ x ancestry project and rewrite my Nature of Race paper. If we come across studies we can add them to the list.
Admin
I think this results as one provide strong indirect support for genetic models. Recall that there are two different env. only models, X-factor (uniform env. effect on lower-scoring group) and VE (variable env. effect on lower-scoring groups) models. These data show that uniform env. models are untenable, no? One can of course make up env. models that fit the data, which is almost always possible given enough ad hoc hypotheses.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_holism
http://www.iep.utm.edu/nat-epis/