Back to [Archive] Other discussions

Crowdfunding an HBD programmer?
(Will not be me.)

Anyone have any experience with st. similar?

Duxide has some great ideas, but not enough manpower to do his analyses quickly...

I would chip in, and would also guess that many blogs would link to such a crowdfunding page...

One problem is that the domain knowledge required is obscure, so I guess we would have to find sb. willing and capable first and then start collecting money.

I could oversee and help his or her work from a bioinfo perspective, while Duxide can help with the biology. Being a competent programmer and Unix hacker with a little bit of understanding of the biology should be enough.
Admin
Piffer should just learn to program himself. Really, programming is learnable for most people and certainly for Piffer. Writing code myself has been the fastest way to accomplish the projects that I have done (see my website for an overview).
There are various crowdfunding platforms on the web:

https://www.indiegogo.com/

https://www.kickstarter.com/

I think raising money to pay for DNA sequencing is too ambitious and unachievable. We'll have to rely on people who have already taken it. Unless perhaps we make some exceptions for really high IQ individuals (>160). For example Rick Rosner (IQ 190??) has lost his job...
The majority of the money would go to hiring a competent programmer.
Admin
If he can't get a job with a claimed IQ of 190, then it is extremely unlikely to be a real result.
If he can't get a job with a claimed IQ of 190, then it is extremely unlikely to be a real result.

There are people with an IQ of 90-100 who get top-paying jobs (e.g. politicians). Some people are too smart to get a good job. And he's just lost his job, he's not always been unemployed.
Piffer should just learn to program himself. Really, programming is learnable for most people and certainly for Piffer. Writing code myself has been the fastest way to accomplish the projects that I have done (see my website for an overview).

Agreed.

Learning to program is not hard if you are passably intelligent. Furthermore, you boost your job application chances, even as a biologist or psychologist greatly. Its fun. And you do not need to go to school to learn it. An hour a day makes you a passable programmer in a year. So yes learn to program if you are interested, or just need a job.

Agreed.

Learning to program is not hard if you are passably intelligent. Furthermore, you boost your job application chances, even as a biologist or psychologist greatly. Its fun. And you do not need to go to school to learn it. An hour a day makes you a passable programmer in a year. So yes learn to program if you are interested, or just need a job.

That's right but as you said it'll take a year before I reach the level of expertise that allows me to carry out the programming you do for 1KG data.
And I cannot wait a year...
If you only practice an hour a day it will, probably.

Remember that this isn't just regular programming, it is a mix of scripting languages and unix. You need to be able to compile your own programs, be familiar with the command line syntax, debug software written by others and be able to run those programs in the first place (bioinfo stuff never work out of the box) in addition to learning to program.

You should be installing linux and getting familiar with the command line now though. Plus doing an hour a day of http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920028154.do

Even better resource, and free: http://learnpythonthehardway.org/book/ Will make you understand Python in a few weeks.
I have finally launched my campaign on Indiegogo. Please share the link with friends or potential donors: www.igg.me/at/IntelligentDNA
What about making a post at reddit HBD yourself Davide?

Can't think of other good places except the Sailersphere.

I can simply email Steve Sailer and ask him to twit my link or make a blog post. Does anyone know his email address?
Does the Pioneer Fund still exist? They've funded this sort of thing in the past, if you don't mind the stigma associated with receiving money from them.

Yes it still exists, but they have very little money left...and I think they cannot fund individuals.

I can simply email Steve Sailer and ask him to twit my link or make a blog post. Does anyone know his email address?

I believe it's isteveslr(at)gmail.com.

Thanks, I emailed him. In the meantime, if you know people who may be interested, please share this link: http://www.igg.me/at/IntelligentDNA
I think people that want this to be true might be the most interested in funding this. Think American Renaissance etc even though their political views are quaint at best.

Some intelligent people have said good things about your work. Ask them for a blurb perhaps?

I gave the first ten bucks, despite being a PhD student, since I believe you are capable of achieving this.
I think people that want this to be true might be the most interested in funding this. Think American Renaissance etc even though their political views are quaint at best.

Some intelligent people have said good things about your work. Ask them for a blurb perhaps?

I gave the first ten bucks, despite being a PhD student, since I believe you are capable of achieving this.

Thanks I appreciate your faith. Unfortunately not many people are that generous...
Is there any reason to believe many know about it?
Is there any reason to believe many know about it?

I posted it on some high IQ groups on facebook and shared it with some fb friends who in turn shared it. I do not know how many people know about it...certainly not enough people. I have emailed S.Sailer and HBD Chick but they've not replied yet.
Admin
Some research requires money to do. Mostly, I've been sidestepping the funding issue because the research I do does not require money. Genetic research, however, sometimes requires money.

The one time I needed some funding for a resarch project, I asked Richard Lynn to pay which he did. That's how I got that excellent Danish immigrant data.