Back to [Archive] Other discussions

IQdb
A couple of researchers from Beijing set up an IQ-allele database, discussed in: Zhao, et al. (2014). A systems biology approach to identify intelligence quotient score-related genomic regions, and pathways relevant to potential therapeutic treatments. It might be interesting to see if any of these can be picked out with Piffer's method.
Admin
I think we tried it, but since it doesn't list the positive allele it is less useful.
Thanks. I'm doing some new stuff for Piffer now where it will be very interesting to see whether I find overlap with those SNPs.

Edit: allele or no allele, still useful for my purposes.
A couple of researchers from Beijing set up an IQ-allele database, discussed in: Zhao, et al. (2014). A systems biology approach to identify intelligence quotient score-related genomic regions, and pathways relevant to potential therapeutic treatments. It might be interesting to see if any of these can be picked out with Piffer's method.

As Emil said, they don't list the increaser alleles, so it's not very useful.
Admin

Factor analysis will identify the positive allele tho assuming it's not a false positive finding.

Factor analysis will identify the positive allele tho assuming it's not a false positive finding.

Yes, that's why first we need to finish the GWAS using Watson, Venter and other smart people's genome. If it's successful, we can apply it to that set of SNPs.

Yes, that's why first we need to finish the GWAS using Watson, Venter and other smart people's genome. If it's successful, we can apply it to that set of SNPs.

Davide,

Btw. Graham Coop, principle author of the pop gen letter against Wade, wrote a critical discussion of his version of the poly genetic selection method. (His sociopolitically sensitive epistemic standards are, of course, unreasonable -- but, nonetheless, you should be prepared to address such criticisms.)
http://gcbias.org/2014/08/07/some-thoughts-on-our-polygenic-selection-paper/
Davide,

Btw. Graham Coop, principle author of the pop gen letter against Wade, wrote a critical discussion of his version of the poly genetic selection method. (His sociopolitically sensitive epistemic standards are, of course, unreasonable -- but, nonetheless, you should be prepared to address such criticisms.)
http://gcbias.org/2014/08/07/some-thoughts-on-our-polygenic-selection-paper/

If anyone replies, please do post a version both here and there.

Ps. doesn't the Coop critique reserve its own thread?

Psps. Is there a single example of alleles with opposite effects in diff. environments? Coop seems to think that this phenomenon is likely to exist and be significant (since he warns against misinterpretations stemming from it).
Psps. Is there a single example of alleles with opposite effects in diff. environments? Coop seems to think that this phenomenon is likely to exist and be significant (since he warns against misinterpretations stemming from it).

The COMT Val158Met (rs4680) SNP seems to have opposite effects on cognition among Asians vs Europeans. However, this was found by a study but hasn't been replicated (as far as I am aware). Maybe there are other examples but none that I know of.