Back to [Archive] Other discussions

Lover boys in Britain, the Netherlands, and Scandinavia
I"m looking for academic studies on the "lover boy" phenomenon in Great Britain, the Netherlands, and Scandinavia, i.e., men, typically of North African/Pakistani/Turkish background, who seduce young girls as a means to recruit them for prostitution.

The only study I've found on this phenomenon in England tends to pooh-pooh the whole thing:

"Addressing the UK as a whole, CEOP measured ‘localised grooming’: the name echoing the new grooming debate, a clear example of media influence shaping official responses. Like The Times, CEOP focused on community-based CSE, specifically excluding familial, peer-on-peer, professional35 or primarily online abuse. Unlike The Times, CEOP removed limitations on victims’ age and gender and covered both solo and group offenders. Of the 31 per cent (N = 753) of suspects for whom race was known, 49 per cent (N = 367) were white and 46 per cent (N = 346) Asian"

Cockbain, E. (2013). Grooming and the ‘Asian sex gang predator’: the construction of a racial crime threat, Race & Class, 54, 22-32

Ella Cockbain

46% is still very disproportionate, but I'm surprised the figure is that low. (I'm also surprised that only 31% of the suspect files had information on racial/ethnic background). In Quebec, "grooming" is overwhelmingly an immigrant phenomenon, essentially involving Haitian or Lebanese individuals.
Admin
I've never heard of this phenomenon as a Native Dane who follows the news.
I do not follow the news, but sites that post all bad stuff that can potentially be linked to immigration/multiculti did not contain anything about the phenomenon in Norway (looked at document.no and honestthinking.org).
Came across this: http://www.tv2.no/a/3713101

13 yr old gangraped by kurds, mother contacted police who did nothing. She died of an overdose at 21.

The family tried to protect her, but could not watch her 247 and she was repeatedly raped.

Contact the fearless women at http://www.rights.no and ask them about stories - if anyone knows any, its them.