Back to [Archive] Withdrawn submissions

[ODP] A new study of intelligence in Morocco
Admin
Submitted on behalf of the authors.

Title: A new study of intelligence in Morocco

Authors
Salaheldin Farah Attallah Bakhiet, Richard Lynn

Abstract
The Standard Progressive Matrices (SPM) was administered in Morocco in 2010-12 tn a sample of 1177 rural secondary school children aged 12-17 years. The sample obtained a British IQ of approximately 74.

Key words: Morocco, Standard Progressive Matrices, intelligence
Admin
In their most recent compilation of national IQs Lynn and Vanhanen (2012) give seven IQs for Morocco. These range between 75 and 85 with a median of 84.

I can only count 6 references for Morocco in LV12.

Morocco Children 177 RAKIT 75 Resing et al., 1986
Morocco Children 76 RAKIT 79 Resing et al., 1986
Morocco 11 720 CITO 84 Pieke, 1988
Morocco 5/8 94 LPTP 85 Hamers et al., 1966
Morocco Adults 167 GATB 84 Te Nijenhuis, 1997
Morocco Adults 202 SPM 84 Diaz et al., 2010

We therefore summarise here the first study of the intelligence of the intelligence of Moroccans in Morocco.

Duplicated words.

The Moroccan IQs of 74 and 72.5 are substantially lower than the median of 84 obtained in the seven studies of Moroccan immigrants in the Netherlands or Spain and may be regarded as a better estimate of the Moroccan IQ. However, the sample came from a rural area and rural samples generally obtain higher IQs than urban samples, probably as a result of selective migration from the country to towns and cities.

You mean "lower".

-

I have recreated the data here. There are no sizes for the age groups, so no weighted average can be calculated.

There are no large age x centile correlations, which was found in the Sudan paper.

What language is the Sbaibi et al published in? If it is non-English, can the authors please attach a scan of it, so readers who can read the original may check it.
Admin
Dear Emil

I have revised this paper to meet the reviewer's comments and attach both the replies to the reviewer's comments and the revised paper in one file.

Best

Richard
Since Emil counted 6 moroccan studies in L&V 2012 book, Lynn & Bakhiet corrected it in the first sentence of the second paragraph of the paper. However, in another paragraph :

The Moroccan IQs of 74 and 72.5 are substantially lower than the median of 84 obtained in the seven studies of Moroccan immigrants in the Netherlands or Spain and may be regarded as a better estimate of the Moroccan IQ.

That should be six studies, as well no ?

Also, the number in this paragraph has spacing problem.

Similarly in France, regional differences in intelligence in the mid-1950s obtained from 257, 000 18 year old male conscripts into the armed forces were highest in those from the Paris region and the lowest in rural Corsica.

That should be "257,000" and not "257, 000".
Since Emil counted 6 moroccan studies in L&V 2012 book, Lynn & Bakhiet corrected it in the first sentence of the second paragraph of the paper. However, in another paragraph :

The Moroccan IQs of 74 and 72.5 are substantially lower than the median of 84 obtained in the seven studies of Moroccan immigrants in the Netherlands or Spain and may be regarded as a better estimate of the Moroccan IQ.

That should be six studies, as well no ?

Also, the number in this paragraph has spacing problem.

Meng Hu,

Can you email Richard Lynn and ask if you can make the necessary adjustments? These are Mickey Mouse corrections that he need not waste his time on.
I have emailed Lynn yesterday. I will post it as soon as he answers. I think, given his illness, that we can make him this favor.
Admin
Any response so far?

To speed things up, I have likewise put the document in Google Docs, so Bakhiet and Lynn can edit it directly there instead of going thru me.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/10KQnYstO4xLgPKX0e9GXolFL8s21DLSsN6qxppKpSJw/edit
Admin
It is interesting that there is no age decline, but it may be because the ages are much larger. The declines we saw in the other samples concerned children age 6-9. The persons tested here are 12 in the youngest sample. It may be that the environmental depression reaches a maximum at or before age 12.
The sample used in this study is the same as the one used in Sbaibi 2014. And it's available here.

http://scialert.net/fulltext/?doi=ajsr.2014.376.385&org=11

I think the commune is named Sidi El Kamel, and not Kamal. I have corrected the mistake in Bakhiet & Lynn.

Place and population of study: The survey was carried out between March 2010 and October 2012 at the only middle school of the rural commune Sidi El Kamel, in the province of Sidi Kacem (North-Western Morocco) (Fig. 1); the population includes 1177 middle school children, consisting of 454 girls (38.6%) and 723 boys (61.4%), aged 11.8-17.7 years (Mean = 14.88±SD = 1.47 years), all subjects were tested with consent of their parents and the director of middle school.

That's the only information I'm able to get on the sample. I don't think there is much to say. In general, I have no objection to what is written in the Bakhiet & Lynn paper.

I would like to approve, because I see nothing particularly wrong here, but I'm waiting the others to see what they have to say. After all, it needs several approvals.

Regardless, there might be a mistake (highlighted) in this sentence.

For instance, in 13 regions of the British Isles in the mid-twentieth century and reported that the highest IQ was in London and the south east, and the lowest IQs were in rural Scotland, Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland (Lynn, 1979).

I don't understand the "in 13 regions ... and reported".
I would like to approve, because I see nothing particularly wrong here, but I'm waiting the others to see what they have to say. After all, it needs several approvals.

Regardless, there might be a mistake (highlighted) in this sentence.

For instance, in 13 regions of the British Isles in the mid-twentieth century and reported that the highest IQ was in London and the south east, and the lowest IQs were in rural Scotland, Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland (Lynn, 1979).

I don't understand the "in 13 regions ... and reported".

The reference is to this paper: "Lynn, R. (1979). The social ecology of intelligence in the British Isles. British Journal of Social and Clinical Psychology, 18(1), 1-12."

I don't have access to the above, but Richard Lynn references the study and the said-13 regions elsewhere so I imagine that the number is correct.

To note, I found this to be an oddly written sentence, though:

"Similarly in France, regional differences in intelligence in the mid-1950s obtained from 257, 000 18 year old male conscripts into the armed forces were highest in those from the Paris region and the lowest in rural Corsica. by Montmollin (1958)."

First there is an extra period (full stop) and an extra space. Second, the construction is odd. It should instead say something akin to:

"Similarly in France in the mid-1950s, measured intelligence, obtained from 257,000 18 year old male conscripts into the armed forces, was highest in the urban Paris regions and the lowest in rural Corsica (Montmollin, 1958)."

Whatever the case, this is immaterial with respect to the point of the paper. The numbers reported look accurate relative to the source paper (table 2). Can someone upload the raven norms so we can double check if the transformations (from raw scores to IQs) are accurate?
Admin
Like before, for this kind of article, I require the original language article to be posted for those who can read the language.

Likewise, the language problems above should be fixed.

There should be a link to the supplementary material in the paper. Just rename the peer review section to something like "peer review and supplementary material", and add one sentence with a link to it.

It would be very nice if the authors could supply a scan of the conversion tables used. These tables are very difficult to find. I have not been able to find them online anywhere.
Like before, for this kind of article, I require the original language article to be posted for those who can read the language.

It would be very nice if the authors could supply a scan of the conversion tables used. These tables are very difficult to find. I have not been able to find them online anywhere.

The original paper is attached. Scores are from Table 2.

It would be nice to have the conversion tables.

Jason Malloy kindly sent the conversion tables. I attached them below. (Emil could you check the numbers over?)
Admin
I do not have time to check them now.

Jason Malloy kindly sent the conversion tables. I attached them below. (Emil could you check the numbers over?)

Based on the conversion tables provided by Malloy, I estimated different percentiles than did the authors. This might be due to how they handled rounding.

I attached my and their estimated values.

Also, age 17 and 17.5 norms were unavailable. I can not approve publication until this matter is resolved.
Admin
Lynn probably did the scoring.

If norms for 17 and 17.5 cannot be found, another solution is to fit a function to the existing data and extrapolate to the 17 and 17.5 values, and then use those. Of course, one would have to make sure the fit is a good one (non-linear).
Admin
I have emailed Bakhiet and Lynn today re. this submission asking them to look into the problem.
Admin
This submission has been inactive for a long time. I contacted the author again.

Emil O. W. Kirkegaard 5 days ago
Salaheldin,

I'd like to remind you that you and Richard Lynn still have a paper in submission that has not been revised for months.

http://openpsych.net/forum/showthread.php?tid=142

-Emil

Authors:

Salaheldin Farah Attallah Bakhiet to you 1 day ago
dear Emil

soon we will complete it.

best,
Admin
This paper has been abandoned by the authors.