Back to [Archive] Meta

Evolutionary anthropology journal?
Admin
There seems to be some interest in starting an evolutionary psychology / anthropology journal.

It would cost about nothing to start the journal. What is needed is a number of willing reviewers and an editor in chief to handle the publishing of accepted papers. The editor can of course also be a reviewer (as is the case with ODP and OBG).

A tentative name is: Open Evolutinary Anthropology (OEA).

Anyone interested in being a reviewer or editor please post in this thread. Other ideas are welcome too of course.
Of course I am interested, as my degree is in Evolutionary Anthropology and I've published in this field.
I am also interested. My PhD was Anthropology and I have published in the field of evolutionary anthropology.
Very interesting. I love this idea. I only have an masters degree. In psychology, but with my focus on evolutionary psychology and anthropology. But would still like to help with some tasks if needed be.
Admin
The review structure would follow that of the other journals, although the initial reviewers+editor may agree on some modifications. I prefer that at least five people agree to be reviewers and that they agree on one person to be the editor. The job of the editor is to post papers that have been though peer review on the journal website (a Wordpress installation). Editors have no real power aside from this.

When I made this thread I also had in mind Peter Forst and HBDchick as reviewers for the journal. I have asked HBDchick on twitter. I will ask Peter Frost as well.
I would be interested (for what it's worth, I have a Ph.D in anthropology). There already is a journal called "Evolutionary Anthropology," so there is some risk of confusion and perhaps copyright infringement.

When you talk about "some interest," are you referring to people who have already posted here?
The review structure would follow that of the other journals, although the initial reviewers+editor may agree on some modifications. I prefer that at least five people agree to be reviewers and that they agree on one person to be the editor. The job of the editor is to post papers that have been though peer review on the journal website (a Wordpress installation). Editors have no real power aside from this.

When I made this thread I also had in mind Peter Forst and HBDchick as reviewers for the journal. I have asked HBDchick on twitter. I will ask Peter Frost as well.

It's important that if a new editor is appointed for this journal, they follow the principles of OpenPsych. These are pretty innovative and most people are used to old style journals so they may struggle to adapt. It's important that editors realize that they do not have power to veto publication of papers under review or to reject papers before they are reviewed.
So, shall we go ahead with this then? We seem to have enough people and there are a number more interested on the Evolutionary Psychology facebook page. I think it fills an important niche in the sense that MQ, for reasons we all know but probably won't put in writing, suffers from certain problems, meaning that publication in it is increasingly a lottery.
Admin
Well, whoever wants to start the journal will need to form a group at >=5 reviewers who can agree on an editor and specific journal rules e.g. how many reviewers need to okay a paper before publication. When that is done, I will set up the software.
Well, whoever wants to start the journal will need to form a group at >=5 reviewers who can agree on an editor and specific journal rules e.g. how many reviewers need to okay a paper before publication. When that is done, I will set up the software.

We need to be careful about naming the journal. Evolutionary anthropology has a much bigger scope than evolutionary psychology. The former sweeps from primatology to physical anthropology and evolutionary psych is only a small subsample of evolutionary anthropology. We cannot call it Evolutionary Anthropology unless we've got reviewers with expertise in all these fields and we won't be able to find so many reviewers.
A journal with a more limited scope such as like "Human Evolution" would be more appropriate.
Admin
Barleymow has some anthropology paper in mind that he wants to publish there. IIRC it is not specifically focused on evolution, but on cross racial comparisons in sports ability.