Back to [Archive] Post-review discussions

[ODP] Semantic discussions of intelligence and the (un)importance of the study of rac
Admin
But a drawback of Jensen's work is that, as far as I am aware, he never defined "Ability".

Jensen defined ability on page 51 of the g-factor.

"Ability. Going from an IP [item performance] to an ability is going from a direct observation to an abstraction or inference, although of the lowest order. The universe of abilities is open-ended but bounded by certain qualifications.
An ability is an IP that meets the following three criteria: (1) it has some specified degree of temporal stability (consistency or repeatability); (2) it can be reliably classified, measured, ranked, rated, graded, or scored in terms of meeting some objective standard of proficiency; and (3) it
has some specified degree of generality."

Carroll (1993) also did work on defining ability more precisely. It is in chapter 1.

Carroll, J. B. (1993). Human cognitive abilities: A survey of factor-analytic studies. Cambridge University Press.
Abstract
A commentary on parts of Hunt and Jaeggi (2013) dealing with the definition of intelligence, changes in intelligence, and the importance of the issue of race and intelligence.

I'll need some time to think this over. You might read Rindermann's 2007 brief discussion in "The big g‐factor of national cognitive ability".

Generally, I see no problem with operationally defining "intelligence". A problem though is that the term is used equivocally by psychometricians. It is invariably used as a synonym for "cognitive ability", but sometimes for cognitive ability in general (stratum I-III) and sometimes for general cognitive ability (stratum III). If you wish, I could give examples. You must address this confusion.

What I do is distinguish between the common parlance fuzzy concept of intelligence/cognitive ability and the psychometrician's operational concept (e.g., McGrew (2009)). I then distinguish between the psychometrician's concept of intelligence/cognitive ability in general (stratum I-III) and the concept of general intelligence/cognitive ability (stratum III). I also distinguish between words and concepts. Once the above clarifications are made, we are left with semantics. Personally, I'm one to fight over terms. Referring to the concept which psychometricians call intelligence/cognitive ability as "intelligence" makes sense given usage and etymology.

intelligence (n.)
late 14c., "faculty of understanding," from Old French intelligence (12c.), from Latin intelligentia, intellegentia "understanding, power of discerning; art, skill, taste," from intelligentem (nominative intelligens) "discerning," present participle of intelligere "to understand, comprehend," from inter- "between" (see inter-) + legere "choose, pick out, read" (see lecture (n.)).

I wouldn't -- by which I don't mean you necessarily shouldn't -- equate intelligence with general intelligence; doing so leads to the position that all non-g differences are non-intelligence ones and that there is no such thing as e.g., spatial intelligence. I think that it makes more sense to broadly define intelligence (as cognitive ability as .... ) and then use qualifiers e.g., "general" to reference specific types. But that's me.

Anyways, I'll get back to you on this later.
Admin
Abstract
A commentary on parts of Hunt and Jaeggi (2013) dealing with the definition of intelligence, changes in intelligence, and the importance of the issue of race and intelligence.

I'll need some time to think this over. You might read Rindermann's 2007 brief discussion in "The big g‐factor of national cognitive ability".

Generally, I see no problem with operationally defining "intelligence". A problem though is that the term is used equivocally by psychometricians. It is invariably used as a synonym for "cognitive ability", but sometimes for cognitive ability in general (stratum I-III) and sometimes for general cognitive ability (stratum III). If you wish, I could give examples. You must address this confusion.

What I do is distinguish between the common parlance fuzzy concept of intelligence/cognitive ability and the psychometrician's operational concept (e.g., McGrew (2009)). I then distinguish between the psychometrician's concept of intelligence/cognitive ability in general (stratum I-III) and the concept of general intelligence/cognitive ability (stratum III). I also distinguish between words and concepts. Once the above clarifications are made, we are left with semantics. Personally, I'm one to fight over terms. Referring to the concept which psychometricians call intelligence/cognitive ability as "intelligence" makes sense given usage and etymology.

intelligence (n.)
late 14c., "faculty of understanding," from Old French intelligence (12c.), from Latin intelligentia, intellegentia "understanding, power of discerning; art, skill, taste," from intelligentem (nominative intelligens) "discerning," present participle of intelligere "to understand, comprehend," from inter- "between" (see inter-) + legere "choose, pick out, read" (see lecture (n.)).

I wouldn't -- by which I don't mean you necessarily shouldn't -- equate intelligence with general intelligence; doing so leads to the position that all non-g differences are non-intelligence ones and that there is no such thing as e.g., spatial intelligence. I think that it makes more sense to broadly define intelligence (as cognitive ability as .... ) and then use qualifiers e.g., "general" to reference specific types. But that's me.

Anyways, I'll get back to you on this later.

I'm planning to write a paper on this subject which I why I don't want to elaborate in this commentary. I want to save the longer discussion to the longer theoretical paper. Perhaps we can write it together, as we have clearly had some of the same thoughts.

ETA:

Gottfredson 2007 wrote:

Finally, their exposition illustrates the distressingly common problem of failing to draw crucial distinctions which, if left muddied, cultivate confusion and suspicion.

IQ (a measure) versus g (a construct, the primary latent trait that IQ tests actually measure) versus general intelligence (often used as a synonym for g) versus intelligence (a lay word with multiple meanings; an umbrella term in science for a wide range of cognitive abilities).

I think this is right. What I want to do in the paper is review the definitional conflicts, give a precise conceptual understanding of ability akin to Jensen 1998 and Carroll 1993, moving into a conceptual understanding of general mental ability. Then I want to discuss how we can detect changes in this ability which I think is central to the confusion over the idea (FLynn effects, training effects, and the recent FLynn et al 2014 paper).

Gottfredson, Linda S. "Applying double standards to “divisive” ideas: Commentary on Hunt and Carlson (2007)." Perspectives on Psychological Science 2.2 (2007): 216-220.

Flynn, James R., Jan te Nijenhuis, and Daniel Metzen. "The< i> g</i> beyond Spearman's< i> g</i>: Flynn's paradoxes resolved using four exploratory meta-analyses." Intelligence 44 (2014): 1-10.
Admin
It has been more than 14 days since anyone commented on this. Can reviewers please review this submission?
As I said before, I give my OK to publishing this paper. However, given the updates in our guidelines, this should be published a "Brief communication".
Admin
As I said before, I give my OK to publishing this paper. However, given the updates in our guidelines, this should be published a "Brief communication".

Per the guidelines it would seem to be a commentary not a brief communication. But generally, a commentary is a special case of a brief communication, one that targets an article by someone else, while other BC's sometimes elaborate a bit on one's own article.

There are only two reviewers who approve (Philbrick, Duxide) and therefore the paper cannot yet be published.

Chuck indicated that he needed more time to consider it.

Alternatively, another reviewer may weigh in.
Per the guidelines it would seem to be a commentary not a brief communication. But generally, a commentary is a special case of a brief communication, one that targets an article by someone else, while other BC's sometimes elaborate a bit on one's own article.

Yes you're right, it's a commentary.
Data needs to be found from the old studies so that these modern analyses can be run, or if the data is lost, new studies need to be done. This is the price to pay for the researchers' lack of data sharing.

Since you made this request, why not citing the following paper ?

http://wicherts.socsci.uva.nl/Wichertsbakker2012.pdf
Publish (your data) or (let the data) perish! Why not publish your data too?

In this way, you can show them you're not the only one who think this way. Cite more people who want, like you, to demand data (either raw, or just the descriptives, with mean, SD, covariances and variances) and that may encourage others to share them.

Since, you have argued that g-loaded effect of training would be correlated with g-loadings, perhaps precise that g is not all about complexity. Flynn confused that in his paper "The spectacles through which I see the race and IQ debate". He says that IQ gains (eg, due to re-test effects) will have more effect on less complex, easier items of test. So, you obviously expect negative correlation between gains and g. Given this reasoning, he argues, Rushton and Jensen views that FE gains and g correlate negatively is in itself hollow. But g is also the "generality" of IQ tests, their shared variance with other tests. The very fact that the dual-n back thing, since you talk about Jaeggi, has probably no far transfer effect, g is not affected here. That's an illustration of how g must be interpreted, I think. See Jensen (1998) here :

Scores based on vehicles that are superficially different though essentially similar to the specific skills trained in the treatment condition may show gains attributable to near transfer but fail to show any gain on vehicles that require far transfer, even though both the near and the far transfer tests are equally g-loaded in the untreated sample. Any true increase in the level of g connotes more than just narrow (or near) transfer of training; it necessarily implies far transfer.

Note the "equally g-loaded".

About the article itself, I have no specific disagreement. The above is just suggestions about possible improvement. Not necessary. Just accessory.

About publication now. Will you wait before I give a definite answer about the "Ok vs No" ? I'm too busy with with specific thing (highly loaded in stats) so I'll come back here later.
Admin
Here's a new edit, adding the good reference identified by Meng Hu above.

As for the g-loading and training effects, I have a paper in review for Intelligence where we meta-analyze gains from Headstart based on the reasoning in this paper. I'm not the corresponding author (te Nijenhuis is), so I have no idea how its faring in peer review.

About publication now. Will you wait before I give a definite answer about the "Ok vs No" ? I'm too busy with with specific thing (highly loaded in stats) so I'll come back here later.

Reviewers can take any time they need to decide.
Reviewers can take any time they need to decide.

This is much improved. A nitpick:

Regarding their assertion that "In no case, though, do we see research on racial differences in intelligence as being a high-priority scientific topic,", to downplay the practical implications of this line of study is unwise and irresponsible.

Double comma.

As for content:

Quote: Hunt and Jaeggi claim that the issue isn't important because "Due to migration and intermarriage, the identity of different racial groups can change in a very few years." That depends quite a lot on what is meant by "a very few years"!

You could give the example of Latin America. Hundreds of years of mixing and you still get:

The background and test score differences between indigenous and non-indigenous students give additional insight into the distinct challenges that indigenous students face. In every country, the test score gap between indigenous and non-indigenous students was greater in Spanish reading exams than in math exams, and the gaps in both subjects ranged between 0.6 and 1.1 standard deviations. (Hernandez-Zavala, M., Patrinos, H. A., & Sakellariou, C. (2006). Quality of schooling and quality of schools for indigenous students in Guatemala, Mexico and Peru (Vol. 3982). World Bank Publications.)

Quote: Other areas, such as affirmative action, may also benefit from honest examination in this field.

Hunt and Jaeggi are either being intellectually dishonest or myopic, as with so many others. In an HV post, I noted:

Number 4 in the social science’s top 10 list of “grand challenge questions that are both foundational and transformative” (Giles, 2010) is: “How do we reduce the ‘skill gap’ between black and white people in America?” Presumably, figuring out the cause of this psychometric intelligence differential would help when it comes to deciding how best to minimize it.

The skill gap is the IQ gap. Reducing this is said to be a grand challenge. It ranks #4! Given this, how could studying race and IQ be said to not be "a high-priority scientific topic". Generally, sociologists and policy makers are obsessed with ethnic achievement=IQ=skill gaps; for example: Clark, J. V. (2014). The Road to Excellence: Promoting Access and Equity to Close the Achievement Gap Internationally. In Closing the Achievement Gap from an International Perspective (pp. 307-315). How can the skill = achievement = IQ gaps be a fundamental social issue and yet for Hunt and Jaeggi be of little importance. Hunt and Jaeggi likely don't want intelligence researches to acknowledge that the differences of concern are intelligence ones -- I'm sure that they don't think that "skill gaps" are of little importance. Whatever the case, if they do, many researchers disagree with them as testified by the obsession with the "skill gaps".

There also is the important matter of "social justice". Boetel and I discussed this in our Nature of Race paper. Claims are made about group culpability. See here. Given the situations, scientists have a moral obligation of sort to investigate the etiology of differences.

It would be nice if you could mention some of the points made above. But I won't hold you to it. Correct the double comma though. After, I will approve.
Admin
Here's a new draft taking into account Chuck's comments above.
Here's a new draft taking into account Chuck's comments above.

Almost there. This section is too bunched up with ideas.

Affirmative action policies were instituted expressly
to reduce or eradicate the 'skill gap' with the expectation that it would succeed. For instance, in 2003 Judge Sandra Day O'Connor wrote \...the Court expects that 25 years from now, the use of racial preferences of social performance will no longer be necessary," with the implication that there would be no 'skill gap'. In 1976 Constance Baker Motley, an African American lawyer said "I despise the necessity of reverse discrimination but I
swear to you we will end it in 25 years.". Affirmative action has not proven itself useful on the whole for its stated goal regarding the 'skill gap' (both quotes cited from [25]). The authors' dismissal of race differences in g is harmful to science as it perpetuates what Gottfredson called "The Egalitarian Fiction"[26]. The goal of science is to find out how
the world works, and to exclude information that is uncomfortable and "inconvenient truths" is to do knowledge, science, and society a breathtaking disservice.

Maybe just:

The authors' dismissal of race differences in g is harmful to science as it perpetuates what Gottfredson called "The Egalitarian Fiction"[26].... [and the explain what this is. Here is a quote from Gottfredson: "Social science today condones and perpetuates a great falsehood -- one that undergrids much current social policy. This falsehood, or "egalitarian fiction," holds that racial-ethnic groups never differ in average developed intelligence (or, in technical terms, g, the general mental ability factor), Which scientists have not yet determined their source, the existence of sometimes large group differences in intelligence is as well-established as any fact in the social sciences. How and why then is this falsehood perpetuated on the public? What part do social scientists themselves play, deliberately or inadvertently, in maintaining it? Are some of them involved in what might be termed "collective fraud?"]. The goal of science is to find out how the world works, and to exclude information that is uncomfortable and "inconvenient truths" is to do knowledge, science, and society a breathtaking disservice.[/i]

I would delete the Affirmative Action stuff. I think the race and IQ discussion is overly focused on African and European U.S. citizens as it is.
New draft.

Ok. I approve publication.