Hello There, Guest!  

[ODP] Criminal and antisocial behavior and cognitive ability in a sample of dating si

Emil,

What strikes me about your paper is that even with less than perfect measures of cognitive ability and antisocial behavior, the resulting gaps/distributions are almost exactly what would be predicted. I suspect that if you increased the number of items in the measure of antisocial behavior, especially if those items tapped into more serious forms of conduct, the results would converge entirely with those found in other studies. Cognitive ability, regardless of how it is measured, is modestly correlated with and predictive of antisocial behavior.

Excellent job.

John
I'll see what I can find. There are some 2500 items to semi-manually look over, so one either has to read every single item (takes hours), or use search strategies that may not find all relevant items.

After looking over the items again, I will add all the criminal, antisocial and rule-breaking items I found, except for the drug related ones. These will be treated in a separate paper and they are special due to non-linear relationships where the occasional drug users have the highest IQs.

After that, re-do factor analysis. Probably with more items, can get a factor score with better distribution, so suitable for analysis.

I'll let you know when I've come up with a revision.
I have substantially revised the paper. It is now about twice as long but much better I think.

Let me know what you think.
Again, I substantially revised the paper. The methods are now much better. I will solicit a new reply from the reviewers.

https://osf.io/qm8se/
(2017-Dec-14, 07:55:36)Emil Wrote: Again, I substantially revised the paper. The methods are now much better. I will solicit a new reply from the reviewers.

https://osf.io/qm8se/

Emil,

I've read the revised version and agree that it is much better.  The results appear robust and insensitive to various specifications.  Indeed, it is striking just how similar your results are to other studies that include much more detailed measures of cognitive ability.  The effect sizes and correlational patterns are very similar to those produced in other studies.  

John
Forgot to post earlier, but: Meisenberg indicated to me in email that he's ok with the version. Thus it has been published.