Hello There, Guest!  

[OQSPS] Net Opposition to Immigrants of Different Nationalities

(2016-Oct-10, 05:44:39)Emil Wrote: However, it's a shame that this data would only be used for this small analysis. This paper is, to my knowledge, the first to present and analyze immigrant performance data for broken down by country of origin/nationality for the UK, and so it would be very relevant to see if the usual predictors -- national IQ and Islam prevalence -- perform well in the UK sample as well. It would also be very relevant to see if there is an S factor, as there was for Denmark and Norway.

Thus, I propose that you extend this study to include more diverse outcome data and analyze whether these can be predicted by national IQ/Islam prevalence as previously reported.

While I agree an analysis of how well country-of-origin variables predict immigrant performance in the UK would be very interesting, the purpose of my paper was somewhat different, namely to explore whether Britons' immigration attitudes are based on well-informed beliefs about the respective characteristics of different immigrant groups––which I believe is also an interesting question. I would therefore prefer to keep the focus of the analysis roughly as it is now.

(2016-Oct-10, 05:44:39)Emil Wrote: For this reason, I spent some time searching for data for you. I used search terms like "united kingdom", "country of birth", "country of origin", "nationality", "statistics" and then added a word for the particular type of outcome I was looking for, e.g. crime, income, employment. This produced the following results:

You have crime rates, but you can get prisoners per capita by nationality:

https://www.gov.uk/government/collection...-quarterly

These numbers cover a lot more countries. See table 1.11 (in the yearly version spreadsheet). There's prisoner rate data for about 200 countries. You just need to pair it with matching population count data for the same periods. The data covers 2002 to 2016, so one can average out a lot of the randomness for the smaller groups.

I considered using prison population data in my analysis, but the sample sizes were indeed very small for some countries. For example, there are only 3 Argentinian prisoners and 4 Japanese prisoners in 2012. Because prison population is a stock measure, averaging over multiple years doesn't make that much difference––many of the prisoners from a given country who are incarcerated in one year will also be incarcerated in the next year. And obviously, with n = only 23 cases in the analysis, measurement error on just a few cases can make a lot of difference to the estimated correlations and regression coefficients. The arrest data, which I chose to utilise instead, have the virtue of much larger sample sizes: no country in the sample had fewer than 100 total arrests over the time period in question.

(2016-Oct-10, 05:44:39)Emil Wrote: This source has welfare use by country of origin for a small number of countries.

https://www.migrationwatchuk.org/briefing-paper/367

It's probably possible to find some more data.

These data are probably of reasonably high quality. However, they are only available for about half of the 23 countries in my analysis. And, obviously, n = 23 already represents a small sample size.

(2016-Oct-10, 05:44:39)Emil Wrote: I particularly would like to see:
- (un)employment rate
- average income
- educational attainment -- most relevant when they attended school in the UK
- cognitive/scholastic scores, GCSE for instance
- health indicators, such as smoking

It is possible to impute data for groups that have e.g. 2/3 datapoints.

Let me know what you think. I realize this would take a lot more work, but I think it is worth it. Recall how much your previous terrorism paper improved by using multiple data sources.

I agree an S-factor analysis of UK data would be highly interesting and informative. But I would claim that investigating how opposition to immigrants from different nationalities relates to their involvement in crime––the purpose of my study––is also interesting and informative. My hunch is that many social scientists, especially those ignorant of the stereotype accuracy literature, would be quite surprised to learn that net opposition to different immigrant groups is reasonably well-calibrated to their rates of criminality.

Obtaining reliable data at the level of the immigrant nationality appears to be quite difficult. The UK census only reports figures at the level of the broad region (e.g., South Asia), which isn't particularly helpful. And most social surveys don't have enough cases to get a reliable average for some of the smaller immigrant groups.

I would reiterate that, if reliable data on a large number of immigrant groups within the UK do become available, it would certainly be worth conducting an S-factor analysis. But in the meantime, I believe my analysis of public attitudes merits publication in its own right.

Messages In This Thread
[OQSPS] Net Opposition to Immigrants of Different Nationalities - by NoahCarl - 2016-Oct-09, 23:54:06
RE: [OQSPS] Net Opposition to Immigrants of Different Nationalities - by Emil - 2016-Oct-10, 05:44:39
RE: [OQSPS] Net Opposition to Immigrants of Different Nationalities - by NoahCarl - 2016-Oct-10, 15:29:06
RE: [OQSPS] Net Opposition to Immigrants of Different Nationalities - by Emil - 2016-Oct-10, 16:35:11
Analytic replication - by Emil - 2016-Oct-10, 17:39:41
RE: [OQSPS] Net Opposition to Immigrants of Different Nationalities - by NoahCarl - 2016-Oct-11, 12:44:14
RE: [OQSPS] Net Opposition to Immigrants of Different Nationalities - by Emil - 2016-Oct-11, 16:07:04
RE: [OQSPS] Net Opposition to Immigrants of Different Nationalities - by Emil - 2016-Oct-13, 21:54:07
RE: [OQSPS] Net Opposition to Immigrants of Different Nationalities - by NoahCarl - 2016-Oct-16, 19:26:10
RE: [OQSPS] Net Opposition to Immigrants of Different Nationalities - by Emil - 2016-Oct-16, 22:12:45
RE: [OQSPS] Net Opposition to Immigrants of Different Nationalities - by ljzigerell - 2016-Oct-18, 08:28:38
RE: [OQSPS] Net Opposition to Immigrants of Different Nationalities - by NoahCarl - 2016-Oct-18, 15:24:48
RE: [OQSPS] Net Opposition to Immigrants of Different Nationalities - by ljzigerell - 2016-Oct-20, 15:21:34
RE: [OQSPS] Net Opposition to Immigrants of Different Nationalities - by HeinerRindermann - 2016-Nov-01, 21:21:44
RE: [OQSPS] Net Opposition to Immigrants of Different Nationalities - by NoahCarl - 2016-Nov-02, 12:41:06
RE: [OQSPS] Net Opposition to Immigrants of Different Nationalities - by HeinerRindermann - 2016-Nov-08, 21:33:10
RE: [OQSPS] Net Opposition to Immigrants of Different Nationalities - by Emil - 2016-Nov-10, 20:01:37
RE: [OQSPS] Net Opposition to Immigrants of Different Nationalities - by NoahCarl - 2016-Nov-11, 23:03:25
RE: [OQSPS] Net Opposition to Immigrants of Different Nationalities - by jsmith - 2018-Mar-27, 04:27:53
RE: [OQSPS] Net Opposition to Immigrants of Different Nationalities - by NoahCarl - 2018-Apr-03, 20:36:43