Hello There, Guest!  

[OQSPS] Cognitive ability and political preferences in Denmark

Peter,

Thanks for looking it over.

Quote:1. The first hypothesis is clearly stated in the Introduction but the second hypothesis appears in a rather vague form:

original version: "There will be a non-linear relationship between cognitive ability and the economic liberalism scale such that the positive slope will decline in strength or perhaps reverse near the end of the ability axis."
  current version: "Cognitive ability appears to have a non-monotonic relation to measures of economically liberal beliefs ..."

Why did you change the second hypothesis?

I think the first file is written by me and the second is written mostly by Noah. He wrote the first draft, I added more stuff/edited it. So, minor changes in wording will probably be due to this change in authorship.

If you think it is problematic in this case, we can amend it.

Quote:2. "rate themselves on social liberalism and economic liberalism" can be changed to "rate their degree of adherence to social and economic liberalism"

I changed it to "As noted, in the original survey, respondents were asked to rate their own agreement with social liberalism and economic liberalism, respectively.". Think this is a bit better than both, and more in line with the actual given question on that survey.

Quote:3. I'm not sure why the correlation is weaker with social liberalism than with economic liberalism. This point should be addressed in the Discussion section. I can think of several possible reasons. Social liberalism has a weaker theoretical basis and may be perceived as less "scientific" than economic liberalism. Social issues tend to be more controversial and less likely to elicit an honest answer. Economic liberalism doesn't exist in a social and cultural vacuum; people half-consciously realize that economic liberalism works only if certain social and cultural preconditions are solidly in place, etc.

It's unwise to make much of such small differences. The sample is not large enough to say whether this is real or not. To be sure, I calculated the confidence intervals for the difference in correlations, both before and after adjusting for measurement error. Neither of these indicate that we can be sure that this difference is real. I added it to the supplementary materials section in the notebook.

http://rpubs.com/EmilOWK/208757 (look in the very bottom)

If you can find some funding, we could replicate this study with a larger sample and a better IQ test. Would cost 2-3k USD.

Quote:4. Since Pinker (2012) is a book, could you provide a page number reference?

I only have an electronic version, which has no comparable page numbers, so I don't know which page it is on. However, it is in chapter 5 and I have added that.

Quote: 5. "pertaining to" should be replaced with "about" throughout the text.

Noah prefers the current phrasing sounds better. I don't care much, but favor "about". So I'll leave it as it is.

Quote:6."prohibitions against" and not "prohibitions over"

Fixed.

Quote: 7. "which is a similar but somewhat construct"

Fixed.

---

Updated the files.

Messages In This Thread
[OQSPS] Cognitive ability and political preferences in Denmark - by Emil - 2016-Sep-17, 17:10:12
RE: [OQSPS] Cognitive ability and political preferences in Denmark - by ljzigerell - 2016-Sep-25, 22:43:52
RE: [OQSPS] Cognitive ability and political preferences in Denmark - by NoahCarl - 2016-Sep-29, 16:37:19
RE: [OQSPS] Cognitive ability and political preferences in Denmark - by Peter Frost - 2016-Sep-29, 20:57:30
RE: [OQSPS] Cognitive ability and political preferences in Denmark - by Emil - 2016-Sep-28, 13:40:24
RE: [OQSPS] Cognitive ability and political preferences in Denmark - by Emil - 2016-Sep-30, 03:10:05
RE: [OQSPS] Cognitive ability and political preferences in Denmark - by Emil - 2016-Oct-04, 13:37:39
RE: [OQSPS] Cognitive ability and political preferences in Denmark - by ljzigerell - 2016-Dec-06, 06:14:48
RE: [OQSPS] Cognitive ability and political preferences in Denmark - by Emil - 2016-Dec-06, 18:46:06
RE: [OQSPS] Cognitive ability and political preferences in Denmark - by BobWilliams - 2017-Jan-11, 00:23:07
RE: [OQSPS] Cognitive ability and political preferences in Denmark - by Emil - 2017-Jan-13, 07:59:24
RE: [OQSPS] Cognitive ability and political preferences in Denmark - by BobWilliams - 2017-Jan-13, 15:40:46
RE: [OQSPS] Cognitive ability and political preferences in Denmark - by BobWilliams - 2017-Jan-14, 16:30:49
RE: [OQSPS] Cognitive ability and political preferences in Denmark - by Emil - 2017-Jan-14, 22:23:52
RE: [OQSPS] Cognitive ability and political preferences in Denmark - by BobWilliams - 2017-Jan-21, 21:01:22
RE: [OQSPS] Cognitive ability and political preferences in Denmark - by Peter Frost - 2017-Jan-29, 16:37:35
RE: [OQSPS] Cognitive ability and political preferences in Denmark - by Emil - 2017-Jan-29, 20:05:13
RE: [OQSPS] Cognitive ability and political preferences in Denmark - by Emil - 2017-Feb-11, 14:29:03
RE: [OQSPS] Cognitive ability and political preferences in Denmark - by Peter Frost - 2017-Feb-11, 20:21:25
RE: [OQSPS] Cognitive ability and political preferences in Denmark - by Emil - 2017-Feb-12, 19:52:05